Monday, April 6, 2009

Hayley's Mishap

Ugh, my poor girl! Scott was making her a loft bed on Saturday. It's like a bunk bed but with no bed underneath. Well, we were trying to see if the 2 side frames were even. There was too much space to use a regular level, so we put a shorter board across. Hayley was holding the one end post and I was on the other. Well, the board slipped and came straight down on Hayley's toe. The board had a 45 degree angle. She cried and screamed and I thought the board landed flat on her foot. We soon realized it was more than that. I rushed her into the bathroom as the blood starting gushing off her foot. I had her on my lap with her foot in the tub with a towel on it trying to stop the bleeding. Scott came in a minute later with the part of her toe that had been severed. It was a chunk with 1/2 her nail attached still. Her 3rd toe on her left foot-the top corner came off and 1/2 her nail. I didn't realize this until he came holding the 'piece.' I told him to put it on ice in case it can be reattached. How CSI is that??? We sent Maddy & Brent across the street to Jenny's house while he and I brought Hayley to the ER. We got in to be seen fairly quick as ER's go. Hayley was brave but scared-her jaw kept chattering. I wrapped her in my sweatshirt and sat in the wheel chair with her. The nurses came with warm blankets to cover her. They gave her 2 shots of novacaine on her toe =( The dr's can't reattach the 'piece' as it was a chunk rather than straight through. At least we were prepared! They xray'd her foot and because this chunk was taken down to the bone or the little skin left is barely covering the bone, she has an open toe fracture. The bleeding finally stopped in the meantime but as the nurse cleaned it, it started again. It took 20 minutes to get it to stop. The dr's say her nail SHOULD grow and be somewhat normal. The nail bed was not hit. As for the rest, as she grows, it could grow back. I have not looked closely at it-it was making me sick to my stomach and dizzy. But from what I saw, her toe is not rounded, it's slanted. So hopefully it will fill out as she grows and heals. I think I was coming down from the adrenalin rush of getting her calmed down, holding the towel on her foot and to the ER. I started realizing what happened and the vague glimpses of her toe. It was a bloody mess. She is not supposed to be walking, it can make her toe start bleeding again and if it's anything like Saturday, it won't stop. So, I carried her yesterday where she needed to go. She hobbled here and there. She's not in much pain-I'm surprised. She's on antibiotics because it is a deep wound. We went for a drive yesterday and got ice cream for a treat and to get out of the house that didn't need walking. It was 73 degrees yesterday! She has an appt today with the pediatrician to see how it's healing. I think Hayley bumped it last night as it started to bleed-UGH! It didn't bleed past the bandage she has on, so that's good news. I'm not sure how the appt will go today with the pain and exposing her toe. The kids' are on Spring Break this week, so it's a perfect week to lay low! I will update after her appt.

3 comments:

babysitting buissness said...

Whoa, I'm so sorry to hear about Hayley's toe- poor kid, and how incredibly scary!! She is in my prayers for healing, I can only imagine as a mother how terrifying that had to have been!

Laura said...

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers! We just got back from the dr and the nurse from ER put on gauze instead of this other bandage so the gauze is stuck to her wound. We decided to give her more novacaine to remove it after soaking it at the dr office for 2 hrs! I'm so mad. Her toe now is still bleeding. The thing won't stop, well eventually. after 48 hrs, it's still bleeding. UGH!!!!!!!! I can't even describe how I feel right now!

babysitting buissness said...

Oh my gosh, like you haven't gone through enough already, I would be furious too!